Table of contents:
The hard disk is one of the most important components of our computer. Now, it is possible that we have opened the task manager and we have noticed that the system is making a excessive use of the hard disk. Let's seehow to fix it in Windows 10.
The read and write speed is different in most hard drives, but both a mechanical drive and an SSD are using 100%It is a problem that we must solve, since it is possible that we have not even had to go to the task manager to see that our computer is making more noise than normalor is heating up.
We have already seen on several occasions that with Windows updates problems appear that we did not find before, but it is possible that this does not happen to all users, but only to some users whose computers for some reason the update did not work correctly on the computer.
Excessive use of the hard disk in Windows is a relatively common failure, both in Windows 10, as in Windows 8 or even in Windows Windows 7. This is a problem that is mainly caused by certain operating system upgrades, although this is not always the case.
Since it is a common error, it is possible that the first solution will not work for us and we will have to go to others that we will also talk about throughout the article. Let's start from the simplest to the most complex.
It may sound obvious, but knowing how to defragment the disk is one of the practices that we should perform on our mechanical hard drive relatively frequently so that everything works more smoothly, except on an SSD that doesn't you need it.
This may be one of the factors causing excessive use of the hard drive. It is the easiest option since, as we taught you, defragmenting the disk is an action that can take just a few seconds.
We must emphasize that there are other somewhat more complex solutions, but they will be useful if the problem has not been solved with the usual defragmentation of the hard disk.
Problems with Windows Search
Another possible solution is to disable a service called Windows Search, for which you must follow these simple steps:
First we check that the hard disk is actually at 100% by pressing the keys: CTRL + ALT + Del. And then, we click on “ Data Manager chores".
Later we will look at the section “ Disc” to verify that it is indeed at 100%.
As this is a common problem that can occur due to many factors such as Windows updates or even viruses, we will disable Windows Search. To stop the Windows search, we will only have to search for “ net.exe” (it is a temporary stop of the search).
If we have stopped the Windows search and have noticed a decrease in disk usage through the task manager, we canStop this search permanently.
- To stop the Windows search, we must press the " Windows +R" button. Once the window has opened, we will enter the command “ services.msc” without the quotes.
- Next, a huge window will open with several processes. We will look for the name of “ Windows Search”.
- When we find it, double click, and a window will open through which we can make adjustments to the Windows search bar. In the startup type it will put automatic by default, but we will click on it and choose the option “ disable”.
- If we have already disabled the service and we do not notice a decrease in disk usage through disk usage, we must go back to enable the Windows search barYou may need to restart your computer for the change to take effect.
Settings in virtual memory
If it is not the Windows search bar, we must reset and/or correctly adjust the RAM memory of our computer, as it may have been misaligned for some reason. Do the following:
- We will go to the control panel and click on the section “ System and security”.
- After this, we will choose again “ System”.
- Next, we will enter the section located on the left where it says “ Advanced system configuration”.
- Afterwards, we will enter “ Advanced Options”.
- Click on “ Performance ” and then on “ Settings”.
- Again, we will go to the “ Advanced Options” section.
- Select the programs option and then, “ Change”.
- In this section, we must activate the option to activate “ Automatically manage the size of the paging file for all units”.
- We can also establish a custom size, although we must have notions about hardware, since it is possible that disruptions occurof the system.
- Once we have completed all these steps, we will go to the task manager, which will show us if the use of the disk.
These are the most common and effective solutions, although if we suspect that excessive use of the disk it is possible that it has occurred after a Windows 10 update, another simple solution is to uninstall the latest Windows 10 update and see if this stops the system from making such high use that it can slow down the system.
What did you think of the tutorial? What was the reason for the system making excessive use of the hard drive?