Table of contents:
- What do I need to add contacts to Google Duo?
- Simple interface, but complete
- Communication Options
- Message Types
- How Video Calls work
- How to block a user
Google Duo is the video calling evolution of Hangouts. Although it is possible that you do not know what we can do through Google Duo, therefore, next, we will see everything you should know about Google Duo.
Google Duo is the Google service focused on video calls, although as we will see it hides more functions within its interface. Actually, Google Duo is the evolution of the Google Hangouts messaging service. Although Hangouts is still available on the desktop version of Gmail, it no longer has its own app in the Play Store.
Since Google I/O in 2016, Google decided to condemn Hangouts which was an app that bundled an instant messaging service with video calls and voice calls. Google Allo and Duo are the apps that took over from Hangouts.
Allo is the app fully dedicated to instant messaging with some additions such as Google Assistant and artificial intelligence. In fact, it was in this that Google Assistant was first implemented in Spanish.
On the other hand, there is Duo that we will talk about at length throughout the article since it is the service with which the big G sought to deal with it to Skype. Duo is currently installed on the vast majority of Android devices, both mobile and tablet by default.
The truth is that Google Duo did not enjoy a really satisfactory launch since the “Knock Knock” function through which we can see the image of the recipient of the call before he picked up the phone had a lot to talk about due to the little privacy that this offered to the user It should be noted that said function it has always been possible to disable it and we will show you how to do it later.
What do I need to add contacts to Google Duo?
As in other similar services, in Google Duo add users is done through the phone number, although it should be noted that this is just the way to add to each other. All video calls are made over the Internet, as well as sending and receiving audio, notes, and, of course, video calls.
We may be surprised by the number of contacts that can have Google Duo active, although in most cases it is not really used, but many users open the app to find out what it is and how it works, but in the end many of them do not use the app again.
It should be noted that, like other apps, it is possible to create groups with different members and even call home, as long as we have Google smart speakers, such as Google Home.
Simple interface, but complete
Duo's interface is really clean and simple at first glance, as the front camera will be activated at first glance. In In the lower part, when sliding from the bottom to the top, we find all contacts.
On the other hand, if we have recently established communication with a contact either through messages, video calls, voice calls… will appear at the top as a quick access mode.
To consult the content both sent and received, we must enter the contact and immediately afterwards, all the messages of said conversation in the center of the screen. When the content expires it will disappear.
As soon as we open the app, we can apply effects and filters ourselves without having to send the result to anyone in particular.
In the upper right part, there are three points through which we can access the settings, among other options.
In the settings, we find different options:
- Account: our email and our phone number from which you can add us will appear.
- Call settings: In this section, we can deactivate the controversial “Knock Knock” and activate different modes and settings for video calls. It should be noted that some of them are already activated by default.
There is also the possibility of " Add Duo calls to the call history" to avoid having to go to the app if we want to redial through Duo quickly.
- Choose a theme: From here we can decide in which theme we decide to enjoy the application, either in light, dark or, as well as we have it configured in our device.
- Blocked users: Finally, we find the option to manage the different users that we may have blocked, even if you don't know how, we will show you below. In this way, we will not be able to receive calls or messages or other communication from the user we have blocked.
Although we have already mentioned that Google Duo is aimed at video calls,also has more options such as voice calls or the possibility of sending messages. To call, we must perform the following steps:
- Swipe from top to bottom to open contacts.
- Choose a contact and choose voice call, video call, or message.
If we decide to send a message we find ourselves with three possibilities to establish a communication:
- Voice: through this function, we can send voice notes to different recipients and they can consult it at any time and as many times they want for 24 hours. After that time, the voice memo will be deleted automatically.
- Video: Duo, just like Instagram or Snapchat, allows you to record videos to be viewed temporarily for 24 hours. We can also add filters and effects to our recordings.
- Note: making notes by hand in different thicknesses and styles, as well as embellishing a note made with our smartphone's own keyboard is possible and even change the color of the background and decorate it with stickers. Remember that the content is deleted 24 hours after being sent to a contact.
How Video Calls work
The process to make a video call in Google Duo is really simple since we only have to follow the following steps:
- Open Google Duo.
- Swipe up to select the contact.
- Once inside the contact, a blue button will appear at the bottom in which it says "Video call" and when pressed it will start.
- It should be noted that, on the left side, there is an icon of a telephone that corresponds to a voice call.
- On the right side, the message option appears through which we can send a video, an audio or a note.
Video calls get pretty good quality and are generally pretty stable.
How to block a user
If any unwanted user starts to establish communication with us, the best way to contain this situation is to block them. In this way we will not miss calls or any type of message, although when we unblock the contact it will notify us of missed calls, messages, etc.
There are two ways to block a user:
- One of them is through settings in the section “ Blocked users”.
- By entering this section we can unblock and manage those users that we have blocked.
- The second way to block a user in Google Duo is through the options that appear at the top right when entering the contact.
Did you know all the features of Google Duo? How about Google Duo?