Table of contents:
Google Maps is 15 years old and Google wanted to offer it a new image along with some new features that will come to the application throughout this year.
The Google maps app is one of the applications that we use the most in our day to day. Google began mapping the world in 2005 and if we compare the first version of Google Maps with the current one, we didn't have half the possibilities it has today in day.
It is one of the applications that offers the most functions, such as measuring distances, saving our car's parking location, creating routes without the need for an Internet connection or even knowing how much it will cost us a taxi back home approx.
New arrangement of the different elements
As we said, Google Maps has undergone many changes since 2005 and now has many more possibilities than before. With the birthday of Google Maps, new shortcuts arrive to some functions that we already found previously in the application, such as the following:
- Explore: is the tool through which Google Maps offers us restaurants in our area in order to discover new places to go that we may not know. Affinity is one of the measures that Google Maps has and that it automatically creates from knowing the places we visit.
- Usual trips: if we take the same route frequently, we may like to know how long it will take today or if there is any incident in the means of transport that we frequently use.
- Saved: it is an option by which we can save restaurants and these will be marked on the map so that when we pass near them we can Go and find out what that restaurant is like.
- Contribute: if we are users of Google Maps and we usually leave opinions in the different places we go to or if we have become Local Guide, we can give Google more information through contributions such as opinions, modifying place information or creating new sites.
- News: in this section we will be able to know some fashionable places that are in our environment, these news are based on the opinions of the Local Guides for what are usually sites to discover dishes or shops. In addition, we can talk to the store through a chat in case any doubt arises before going to the place and even make a reservation.
These functions are not new in the Google maps application, however, it is true that they were somewhat scattered in the app, so Google has offered them a greater role by giving them a shortcut located in the bottom bar.
New features coming to Google Maps
Sometimes, when having information from users, it is not always an infallible method to avoid traffic jams, since a user managed to create traffic jams on Google Maps fictitiously. Google Maps plans to integrate the following functions throughout this year:
- Temperature: temperature is one of the external factors which can make a journey more or less comfortable, in such a way that Google Maps will ask those users who have taken that route before to find out if it is hot or cold in that season.
- Accessibility: it is a function specially designed for those people who have mobility problems. In this way, Google Maps will take into account the most accessible public transport lines and those that may have some kind of assistance.
- Wagon for Women: This is a functionality which will only be available in certain parts of the world where men and women do not share wagons.
- Safety in the vehicle: Safety when traveling is key, as are the methods of calling for help. Google Maps will inform us of the security systems with which the transport is equipped in case any incident occurs on the way.
- Number of wagons available: each train usually has a number of different wagons depending on the frequency, time or even the circumstance for Knowing where it is most convenient for us to get on the train and knowing how many carriages it has can be quite useful.
Most of the features are designed for public transportation use, which makes a lot of sense given the sheer number of users that use Google Maps to find out which line or which is the fastest route.
As we say, these functions will be available throughout 2020,specifically from March, although it will take more or less from of the launch date depending on the geographical area in which we are located.
To celebrate your birthday, Google Maps in addition to the above, has created a video that goes over how the icon has changed. This video can be found inside Google Maps. If we see that we cannot find the shortcuts on our device, we must make sure that we have the latest version of Google Maps.
Having the updated version of Google Maps is very important if we want to enjoy the improvements and new features included in the application. On the other hand, it should be noted that for the moment this will be the new Google Maps logo and not a simple way to celebrate the 15th birthday of the map application.
What do you think of the news? Do you think they will be useful in your day to day?