Table of contents:
The new Realme 5i is a smartphone with a reasonable price that does not give up a quad camera, to a large battery and a large screen that occupies most of the front, as expected in today's smartphones.
The Realme 5i arrives alongside the Realme 6 Pro, for those looking for a simpler device. It mounts a 6.5-inch HD+ screen that occupies a commendable 89% of the front, and places the selfie camera in a central mini notch.
Inside the Realme 5i we have an 8-core Snapdragon 665 processor, along with 4 GB of RAM and enough64 GB of storage , expandable via Micro SD cards.
The Realme 5i boasts of being splash resistant thanks to a triple-sealed system, but without an IP water resistance rating to specify its capabilities, so it is best to be careful in this regard.
The 5,000 mAh battery points to a good autonomy, although the low price leaves fast charging aside, and with the smartphone comes with a standard 5V/2A charger that uses a Micro USB port.
Perhaps the least pleasant resignation to achieve a low price is that we find Android 9 Pie as the operating system, and not Android 10, which has been the norm for a long time in the new smartphones that are presented.
4 cameras in the economy range
Realme has made the quad camera its hallmark, present in almost all its models in Spain, although adapting the type of sensors to each range. In the Realme 5i we find these 4 modules on the back:
- 12 MP f/1.8: main sensor, the highest quality thanks to a pixel size of 1.25 μm and the PDAF autofocus.
- 8 MP f/2.25: an ultra-wide angle of 119º, which collects more elements in the image without moving away, generating a certain "fisheye" effect.
- 2 MP f/2.4: Macro camera takes photos of very close objects, from just 4cm away.
- 2 MP f/2.4: a support module for portrait mode or bokeh, an effect that blurs the background of the shot.
We don't have a telephoto camera to zoom, but we do have details such as slow-motion video recording up to 240 fps. For selfies, an 8 MP front camera is included in a mini notch shaped like a "water drop".
Realme 5i, specifications
The new Realme 5i is an affordable smartphone, but with a fairly complete technical sheet if we consider its price. This is the hardware it mounts:
- Screen: 6.5-inch HD+ (1,600 x 720 p), occupies 89% of the front.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 8-core up to 2 GHz.
- RAM and storage: 4 GB + 64 GB with Micro SD slot.
- Rear camera: 12 MP main + 8 ultra wide angle + 2 MP macro + 2 MP portrait.
- Front camera: 8 MP
- Connectivity: 4G dual SIM, dual band WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0.
- Ports and sensors: Micro USB, 3.5 mm jack and rear fingerprint reader.
- Battery: 5,000 mAh.
- Operating system: Android 9 Pie with ColorOS 6.1 customization.
Realme 5i, price and availability
In Spain, the Realme 5i will be sold at a price of 159 euros, in a single configuration of4 of RAM and 64 GB of storage It will only be available in Carrefour, at least initially, as a result of an agreement between the manufacturer and the hypermarket chain.
We can choose between the colors Forest Green (green) and Aqua Blue (light blue) In the sales box comes a protective screen and a cover, something increasingly common in any smartphone, but which is especially appropriate when we talk about a terminal that targets tight budgets.
The Realme 5i is located just above the Realme C3 in the firm's catalog, with a slightly higher price, but offering a quad camera as its main asset.
In principle, the Realme 5i offers good value for money although, if the distribution is finally reduced to a single chain, its potential impact could be limited in a market full of competitors.