There is a risk that our DVDs will be lost when the passage of time damages the physical discs, so convert a DVD to video in MP4 formatis the best way to preserve it for posterity.
After ripping the DVD you can convert the video to many formats, but MP4 H.264 is usually the best alternative. It keeps the same visual quality of the original and saves 80% of the space In addition, it is very fast if we use the right tool, taking about 5 minutes to convert each disc.
DVDs degrade over the years, and fewer and fewer computers include drives. Therefore, we must move them to a modern support that prevents them from being lost.
In the case of a DVD video, such as those used in movies and commercial series, the process requires ripping the disc (extracting the content) and then converting it to a current file type, although both steps can be performed with the same tool.
Let's learn how to convert DVD to MP4 step by step in this tutorial:
- We will use WinX DVD Ripper, a program for Windows that will allow us to rip the disc:
It is possible to obtain the license of WinX DVD Ripper Giveaway Version for free, which allows us to convert to MP4 free of charge
- We will execute the downloaded file and we will install WinX DVD Ripper like any Windows program:
- Now we open WinX DVD Ripper, insert the DVD in the computer reader, and click on the icon"Disk" in the upper left area:
- The program lets us choose different formats for conversion, even adapted to certain devices (Android, iPhone, iPad, consoles…), although MP4 H.264 is often the best alternative:
- With the license of the Giveaway Version we will have MP4 H.264 available, and there is also WinX DVD Ripper Platinum as the most advanced edition. The Platinum version offers many extra features, and can be obtained for a one-time payment of 29.95 euros.
- Now we choose the fragments of the DVD that we want to convert (they are called " title") and press the button"Run" to start the process:
- DVD ripping and MP4 conversion begins, with a progress bar:
- When processing is finished, the folder will open with the video in MP4, or another format that we have chosen:
With this we will have the MP4 of the DVD, which we can use for multiple purposes. On the one hand, it's a good format to save to a hard drive for the future, or store it in a service on the cloud in the style of Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive.
We can also share it with other users or upload it to social networks, MP4 is a modern format, and they will have no problem accepting and optimizing it on each platform.
WinX DVD Ripper supports many options for ripping DVDs, even problematic ones: with geographical restrictions, bad blocks, scratched discs or recorded with the 99- title technique, which in other programs generates reading errors.
We can also convert homemade DVDs that we have to MP4, some with memories as important as weddings, trips or school work.
For our DVDs to last, converting them to MP4 is the most reliable option, and we have already seen that it is a simple and fast process. With only a disc reader and the appropriate software we can save a copy in a matter of minutes.